Celebrate Christmas with Cairngorms experiences and gifts!
Shopping may not be the first activity you think about in relation to the Cairngorms National Park, but we have some exceptionally good local independent shops here!
Driving up – or down – the A9? It’s always worth breaking your journey at the House of Bruar for coffee or lunch and browsing their amazingly well-stocked food and gift departments. Just outside Aviemore, the Rothiemurchus Centre always has an impressive choice of Christmas decorations, food gifts and stocking-fillers. We’re always keen to promote Grantown-on-Spey’s Totally Locally group and hope you will take a look at these lovely small independent shops and galleries!
Totally Locally Grantown
Grantown was the first Highland community to establish a Totally Locally group and our favourite shops and galleries include:
- The High Street Merchants, where beautiful works of art adorn the walls, the tables and chairs are handcrafted in the National Park and you can enjoy some of the best coffee and cakes!
- Margaret at Highland Kiltmakers makes a variety of bespoke items, hires out kilts and sells beautiful accessories.
- You’ll find enticing gifts and crafts at Ewe and Me and The Wishing Well, including some fabulous bags.
- We love the choice of jewellery, watches and silverware at Imray’s Jewellers.
- Delve into Donaldsons Hardware – as well as bolts and buckets, they have dozens of attractive goods that make great practical presents.
- If the children in your life have too many possessions, treat them to a craft session at Sew Crafty or Smarty Art where they can make their own presents!
- Say it with flowers at The Flower Box and EMJ Florist.
Give an experience they’ll always remember!
If you’d rather give Cairngorms experiences – or vouchers towards one – as presents this Christmas, there are so many to choose from:
A guided day on the hill; fun for all the family at Landmark Forest Park; a day or two skiing on Cairngorm, Glenshee or the Lecht; wildlife watching day trips or holidays with Speyside Wildlife or, for a classic, luxurious treat, a chauffeur-driven day out. This is especially good if distillery and brewery visits are included – no problems with designated drivers!
Not just Whisky Galore …
…. we have great gin and beer here, too! World-famous brands are distilled and brewed in our National Park and although most distilleries are not open in the winter, you can sample fine malts, gins and craft beers at various shops and restaurants throughout the year and they are always very popular presents!
One particular favourite is The Whisky Castle in Tomintoul, where you can see the world’s largest bottle of whisky and they also offer a range of gins. Gins distilled locally are Caorunn and Crossbill – most local restaurants and pubs stock these, so just ask when you’re out for a drink or meal.
The Cairngorm Brewery Tour in Aviemore is highly recommended – for only £3 per head, you sample a dozen or so ales and have a thoroughly entertaining time; you can also order their craft beers from their website.
Our favourite Tartan treats
The Cairngorms National Park tartan was designed in the National Park and made in Scotland from 100% pure wool and we’re delighted to offer a range of products available to order online, all of which are made in the UK and some made here in the Cairngorms!